On the Wing #4: Woodland Sonnet

Perhaps the loneliest songs are those sung in the woods in a New England summertime are those sung by the Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens). Its double-noted prefix of "pee-a-weee" and its suffix "pee-wo", sung in a drifty, yet uplifting tone. This is one of those summer sounds that permeates the woodland long after more vociferous species such as Northern Cardinals (Cardinalis cardinalis) and American Robins (Turdus migratorius) have stopped singing for the summer. Many times in the past few weeks, I have been walking with a group of campers, trying to get them to follow along with the general direction of the group and get them to the places they need to be on time, only to grow frustrated by either their almost incessant need to walk as slow as possible or having been so absorbed in their own little world that they unintentionally hinder the group's progress. These are the times when I have felt the greatest stress. However, when I have opportunity to glance into a grove or walk under the red pine trees (Pinus resinosa) of the Red Pine Forest; that slow song wafts through the trees and prompts me to smile. Not simply because it's one of my favorite songs to hear, but also because it means doing a job I love doing. Being outside, teaching kids about nature, and being able to feel good about what I do at the end of each day. Especially feeling tired after being in the sun all day and knowing that this job is way better than working in fast food or being stuck in an office.

It always seems, at least to me, those things that are so simple and sweet, like bird song in a woodland or showing someone you care about, something that's so precious to you, that make this precious life of ours worth living. It certainly feels that way, especially when listening to the almost breath-like quality with which the pewee sings in the sun-dappled forests of New England. There are few other birds that have this calming effect, especially on the busiest days of camp. Only two other birds come close and they are complete polar opposites. They are the American Goldfinch (Spinus tristus) and the Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina).

These birds can be considered to be the yin and yang of the bird world. The thrush represents the calmer, more timid side of things, keeping to itself in the Eastern woodlands and singing it's flute-like tune with reserved gusto. The song itself, a pleasant "ee-o-lay", reminds me of the Norman Rockwell illustrated story about Willie the Wood Thrush and his unusual ability to harmonize different notes, much unlike other members of his species. The goldfinch on the other hand, especially the more brightly-colored male, lives up to its bright personality and chirpy song by bounding from tree branch to tree branch. Even their song seems powered by their sun-mimicking plumage as they flit about the trees, calling to one another with notes that seem to resemble the word, "potato chip". In a mnemonic world, birders have used both this and the phrasing "per-chick-o-ree" to describe this cheery call note. Whenever possible, I try to seek these birds out, but I prefer to be surprised. Just when I think I have too much stress or I have the world weighing on my back, the simple notes of these three species are like the fountain of youth to my tired mind and word weary ears. Just their presence alone is enough for me to enjoy their summer woodland sonnets and feel all the better for it.

Comments

  1. Great post as usual :) I stopped by to point out that one of my friend's brother writes and photographs birds at his own blog, so I thought you might be interested. Perhaps you can bond: http://avianobsession.weebly.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites