On the Wing #40: Birding Year Review

It's been another long year here on planet Earth. I've seen and heard a lot of things, but today this post is dedicated to the birds that made it all possible. After starting this blog midway through the summer, I really didn't know where I was going with it or what would become of it several months down the road. However, I think it's because of my blogs that I'm able to share my thoughts and feelings  on what matters to me most. So without further adieu, I would like to list those birds that made it possible for me to reach my goal of 300 species (and beyond) on my life list this year. For brevity I'll list the top ten birds of the year, where I saw them, and what that sighting meant to me.

1. Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris):

Seen on the 16th of March at the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Naples, FL. I saw a male at a feeder along one of the main trails. A crowd of people gathered around this rainbow bird and took pictures quietly as it fed on the seed and eyed the people that had gathered to collectively treasure this uncommon gem of the Southeast.
2. Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia):
Seen on the 20th of March in Cape Coral, FL. We were traveling around a neighborhood where my girlfriend had seen them as a child and after a bit of searching, we found one sitting outside its burrow looking less than pleased with being watched by us, but it didn't move allowing me to get the picture above.
     




3. Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja):

Seen on the 21st of March at Southwest Florida International Airport, Fort Myers, FL. Literally seen as we took off from the airport and caused me to audibly yell "Are you kidding me?!" Such a worthwhile surprise too!
4. Black-bellied Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis):
Seen on the 12th of August at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, Concord, MA. The highlight of my summer and I was also lucky enough to see the bird twice. Such an unusual sighting for so far north, but it was really cool to see. I mentioned its presence way back in On the Wing #5, but I've included a photo here just to prove that I did see it.





5. Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens):

Seen on the 25th of September at the Boy Scout Reservation, Sudbury, MA. This was such a treat because I not only got up early to find these guys, but I also got to hear two males singing on the wooded hillside where I found them. The black breast and blue back of the males really stood out to me and filled me with such joy and pride at having found them.
6. Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolni):

Seen on the 2nd of October at Lincoln Meadows Community Gardens, Sudbury, MA. This bird continued to be an ID challenge for me. Looking superficially similar to a Song Sparrow and with little difference excepting a tea-stain breast, crisper streaks, and grayish eyebrows, every time I tried to find one I was worried I'd misidentify it. Fortunately I connected with one in October and started seeing them regularly enough after that. I'm glad that I can at least tell them from Song Sparrows and only have to worry about telling Vesper Sparrows from Grasshopper Sparrows come the breeding season next year.
7. Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya):

Seen on the 5th of October at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, Newburyport, MA. A complete surprise when I decided to visit the legendary migrant trap one October day. I got about four or five new species that day, but this one was completely unexpected. Knowing that flycatchers have a tendency to range over the country makes the fact that this species, which is very common in the west, decided to travel east for a change to Newburyport. I was thankful to the birders that pointed it out to me and proved to be a wonderful addition to my goal of 300 species.
8. Northern Wheatear (Oenanthes oenanthes):

Seen on the 14th of October at Skaket Beach, Orleans, MA. Another surprise rarity that I discuss in On the Wing #21, but it was special for two reasons. Seeing such a rare bird for myself because of what it does to a life list, but also being able to share an anniversary with a person I care very much for and being able to do something that we enjoy doing very much. It makes me so thankful for such things.
9. White-winged Crossbill (Loxia leucoptera):

Seen on the 11th of November at Drumlin Farm Wildlife Sanctuary, Lincoln, MA. In the rush to find my first winter irruptions, these guys were a complete surprise. Looking up into the spruces near the gift shop I noticed some unusual looking finches so I raised my binos. Sure enough they were the crossbills that I'd heard about or at least had heard may have been in the area. So far I've been able to see Red Crossbills (Loxia curvirostra), Common Redpolls (Acanthis flammea), and heard one Evening Grosbeak (Coccothraustes vespertinus). It will be interesting to see what other winter irruptives I will get to see this winter and come the new year, I'm personally hoping for a Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus).
10. Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis):


Seen on the 23rd of November at Sherwood Island State Park, Westport, CT. This was a personal goal bird that I'd been waiting my entire life to see. I dedicated a posting to the sighting in On the Wing #32, but seeing those birds truly made my day. Tears and all, it's species like these that make birding magical and indescribable to those to whom it holds not appeal. The feeling of waiting for what felt like a lifetime to see a bird that had so much mystery and history surrounding it in everything that I read about it and seeing it in real life, flesh and feathers made the experience all the more special. Hearing their clamorous cry was merely bonus points on that special day in November.

Next week I'll briefly discuss my birding plans for next year and continue to (BRO) as well. Have a lovely Christmas everyone and good luck on those CBCs! Happy birding ^_^

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites