On the Wing #81: Warblering Both New and Old

Fall is upon us once more and with its arrival comes the annual southward migration of warblers, sparrows, and other small birds, winging their way south for their winter vacations. My goal is to find a few more species to add to my rolls. Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis), Connecticut Warbler (Oporornis agilis), and Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) would all be wonderful additions to my list but for now, I'll wait for the weekend to start (Sundays and Mondays again) before I head out to search the nearby woods.

Having spent part of spring migration in Ohio with my girlfriend I was able to get amazing, up-close shots of migrating warblers including four or five I'd never seen before. (My entry for that weekend in May can be found here)

However, more recently there are two books of mine that have helped me get in the mood for the warblers to come. They are quite different from one another with one providing reference and technical insight into the parulids of America and the other offers a completely modern approach to identifying warblers in whatever season one finds them in.

Published in 1957, The Warblers of North America was a collaborative work edited by Ludlow Griscom and Alexander Sprunt, Jr. and featured the work and research of Roger Tory Peterson, James Bond, Griscom himself and 18 others. A full reference guide to the New World warblers, it covered the typical natural history information that a budding ornithologist or curious naturalist might want to learn about. Being one of the older bird guides I own (along with The Chapman Guide to Eastern Birds and a Field Guide to the Birds), I have a special appreciation for the work put forth by the scientists and naturalists before us as well as the beautiful artwork on the plates that interrupt what can sometimes seem like boring and dry text. However, I think this is a lovely book for birders, lovers of old books, and fans of Ludlow Griscom.
This is truly a guide to be reckoned with. Released this year, it just might be the answer to all the problems faced by birders trying to identify confusing fall warblers, distinguish one similar species from another, and just have a good handle on the amazing variety that makes up this family. What struck me about it was how useful it is compared to other photo guides. I've made clear before my disdain for the Crossley guide, but this guide provides not only several different angles with which one might view a given warbler species (most often high in the trees flitting just out of view). The only drawback is that this guide isn't for beginners. This guide comes with the expectation that you've had prior experience with warblers, are able to identify at least the common ones, and are familiar with sonograms. I for one, can do the first two, but not the last. Ultimately it doesn't matter for now because the mnemonics I use to ID bird song work well enough for me on their own.

So if you have a feel for the nostalgic writings of the ornithologists of old or wish to hone your warbler ID skills, give these books a try and good luck. May many a warbler come your way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites