Nature Note #96: Happy New (Bird of the) Year

It's officially two days into 2014 and this snowstorm is terrifying! Well not really, but I can happily report my choice for bird of the year 2013, as well as, my resolutions (nature wise) for the year!

This past year I failed to reach my goal of 350 species and only managed to reach 338, but that's still impressive for spending most of the year in New Jersey and having access to some of the birdiest areas in the country. I was graced with a few good rarities this year and with the Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) invasion coming into full swing, it provided a nice finish to the year indeed. So many species to choose from, but ultimately Hedwig herself won me over! In case you didn't see, here are some photos of the immature bird that would become my bird of the year.



Resolutions wise, I'm keen to begin practicing my outdoor teaching skills once more with my new job in Pennsylvania. As for my goals they are as follows:

1. Be creative. That can mean drawing, writing, blogging, carving, painting, and on and on. Doing anything that helps to keep my mind focused.
2. Try to worry less. Focus on what/who/where you love and let it be your guide. Even if you can't really escape from your own mind, try to do so for a little while.
3. See some more butterflies and our insect friends in general. They may be small, but they are no less important.
4. Be present. The future is a long way off so make most of what you have now.

I hope I can at least live up to these and have an even better year than the last. Happy new year everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites