Nature Note #108: Adventures in Pennsylvania: Norristown Farm Park

Today was a busy day. Firstly being John James Audubon's birthday (over 229 years ago), I felt I needed to pay a proper tribute to a man that inspired not only myself, but many others to get to know the natural world a bit better. It was also an important work day for volunteers to come out and help with maintenance projects on the property where I work (and live for the time being). In order to escape the slew of volunteers that were to descend, I decided to head out to a local birding hotspot to try and find some spring migrants. The night before, I looked up Norristown Farm Park and Evansburg State Park and eventually decided to travel to the former because it was slightly closer and seemed to have a more diverse range of habitats than the State Park. As I arrived I heard the clear chipping notes of a Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) in a nearby spruce. His rufous crown and dark eyeline were immediately noticeable as he continued to chatter away as I got together my bag and notebook.


I clicked a few pictures of him before setting off towards some large farm buildings that served as the park office. I presumed I could find a trail map there and when I did, I decided to follow a large loop, about 2.25 miles long to cover the most ground. As I walked, I took some photos of the wildflowers that are starting to pop up at this time of year. Dandelions (Taraxacum officinale), wild mint (Mentha spp.), and violets (Viola spp.) grew interspersed among the corn stubble that spread out over much of the landscape. One might even expect there to be some Eastern Narrow Sparrows** (Endomorphus lateralus) hiding amongst the stalks, but I found some Savanna Finches* (Passerculus sandwichensis) instead.



I smiled after having gotten a second F.O.Y (first of the year) species that morning with the first being a Green Heron (Butorides virens) that flew over my car when I was driving to the park. The trail wound its way through the farm fields and on towards a riparian area. The river carved and slithered its way along the bottom of the steep hillsides where oaks, maples, and Forsythia bushes where beginning to bloom and reveal their green leaves. The foliage was alive with fresh migrants who weren't necessarily photo shy, but still provided a challenge. The Blue-Grey Flycatchers* (Polioptilta caerulea) and a Ruby-crowned Wrens* (Regulus calendula) gave me considerable trouble trying to even get a decent and clear photo of them. They popped up, chirruped, and zipped around the trees, paying little regard to the photographer trying to document their progress and whereabouts in the emerging foliage.


As I traveled, I noticed a throng of people towards the bend of the next path. A fishing tournament or maybe a festival was going on and seemed to revolve around the recent stocking of trout by the state game commission. Children ran ahead of their parents, while men and women alike hugged the banks and waded the shallow waters in search of the stocked trout. Nearby, a special tank with several dozen fish was being used by physically disabled members of the community and several wooden structures had been erected along the edge of the bank in some spots to help them as well. The atmosphere was cheery, excited, and charming and it was a fitting day to celebrate rural America's two passions: fishing and family.

Crossing the bridge away from the hoards of fisherman meant heading back, but given that it was nearly lunchtime, I didn't mind. Along the way, robins and goldfinches sang in the trees, while a male Blue-bird* (Sialia sialis) argued with White-bellied Swallows* (Tachycineta bicolor) over the ownership of a nest box. A single Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) watched the squabble from a distance, while a small flock of Marsh Blackbirds* (Agelaius phoenicus) clicked and foraged in a flooded field.

Just trying to avoid trouble...
As I neared the end of my walk, I took some photos of the building I'd parked near at the start of my walk. It was called Getty Cottage and it reminded me of the farm houses back home in Wales and Ireland. The whitewash stone walls, double-glazed windows, and box-shaped dullness of the design brought me back to drives through the countryside while heading to and from school in Carmarthen when I was a preteen boy.

"Turn right for exquisite country views."

Getty Cottage
A Mocking-bird* (Mimus polyglottos) and a Cardinal Grosbeak* (Cardinalis cardinalis) sang their respective songs in the tangled shrubs nearby and brought me back to the present. The sun was bright and warm and the land was green and filled with promise. Spring really does bring hope for the new year and I hope this year can be just as beautiful as the last. As I left, I thought to myself, "Thank you, Mr. Audubon. It was a good day." and so it was.

*As a tribute to J. J. Audubon's birthday, all the birds I talk about in this post have the names that he referred to them with. Many have remained the same, but some seem better than the ones we have now. I hope you as the reader enjoys this regardless of name changes. 

**This is a reference to a fictional species from John, Cathryn, and Ben Sill's book, "A Field Guide to Little-Known and Seldom-Seen Birds of North America".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites