Nature Note #114: Recent Ramblings

On this hot summer evening, I realize I haven't posted anything in nearly two weeks and figured that tonight would be a good a time as any to do so. I have started work at Drumlin once more and I'm looking forward to the start of camp as well. The past few weeks have been busy and full of fun and learning. Fun because of all the returning counselors I know from prior years and learning because of staff training.

Other than that, I managed to head to Portcon Maine this year and snap some photos of local bird life in the vacant lot nearby.

The jovial songs of House Finches (Haemorhous mexicanus) rang out over the parking lot.
The pleading cries of a pair of Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) drew us close to what we suspected was their nest site.
An American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) surveys cosplayers on a beautiful Sunday morning.

A honeybee (Apis spp.) feeds on the ornamental mint (Mentha spp.) flowers planted outside the Double Tree.
Also, I recently went fishing for panfish along the Sudbury River in Wayland and snapped some photos of my progress. I was bobber fishing with mealworms and having a pretty good time of it too.
I'll definitely have to go popper or dry fly fishing for some soon as well.

A Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) awaits its release.
Bluegill (L. macrochirus) are arguably my favorite fish to catch.
A fish and view of the Pelham Island Road bridge.
And to top it all off, I had a damselfly land on my bobber too.


Hopefully, I can find something more substantive to write about in the coming week. Maybe it'll be about camp, maybe about something else. We'll just have to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites