Nature Note #130: Down to the Wire

As the final month of the year draws closer, I am once again rushing to complete something that I resolved to do earlier this year. While I have held fast to completing some of my new years resolutions such as being more creative (with painting rocks and shells swiftly becoming my new favorite thing to do), learning about wild edibles, and completing my year birding goal of beating last year's goal. Over the past four years, my year birding totals have varied wildly, but as of 2012 I had seen 228 species, whereas last year I got 225. That means that as of today, I have 215 species on this year's list. As of 1:44pm this afternoon, I listed a King Eider (Someteria spectabilis) that had been spotted between the point at Weymouth's Webb State Park and the metal walkway leading up to Grape Island. It was an easy list and one that I had had on my most wanted birds list.

The most wanted list features 20 (now 17 with the acquisition of the King, as well as Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) and Black Scoter (Melanitta americana) in recent days and the likelihood of getting certain) birds that I have a good chance of getting in the next month in order to beat last year's record. They include the following:

1. Brant (Branta bernicla)
2. Cackling Goose (B. hutchinsii)*
3. Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)*
4. Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)
5. Redhead (A. americana)
6. Lesser Scaup (A. affinis)
7. Barrow's Goldeneye (Bucephala islandica)*
8. Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia)
9. Long-eared Owl (Asio otus)*
10. Short-eared Owl (A. flammeus)*
11. Northern Shrike (Lanius excubitor)*
12. Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris)
13. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)
14. American Pipit (Anthus rubescens)
15. Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus)*
16. Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)
17. Common Redpoll (Carduelis flammea)

Those with asterisks are birds that would be lifers for me, but for the most part, they are uncommon and even rare winter visitors that would make for an excellent and overall important edition to the year list. Who knows? Maybe if I get one of these lifers, they can be my bird of the month for December and get a chance to be my 2014 bird of the year. Here's to down to the wire birding and hope that I can achieve my goals.

Update: As of today (11/29/14), every crossed out name will mean that I'm just that little bit closer to reaching my goal. Hopefully, I will win this yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites