Nature Note #140: Greetings from Saco

Hello all.

Over the past week, I've been getting settled in up in Saco, ME and I'll be sharing a little bit about what life is like at the moment. I'm living literally 100 feet from Ferry Beach and it is an amazing resource. The beach provides splendid views of the surrounding coastline and represents the longest stretch of sandy beach in Maine! When I headed out yesterday morning to look for some wintering water birds, I didn't expect there to be so much mist. The clouds and cold temperatures had decided to bequeath us with a sprinkle of snow and as a result, the surrounding beach and ocean was veiled in translucent mist.

The view south towards Camp Ellis and the jetty.
With the spitting snow obscuring the camera lens and binoculars alike, I strained to make out the black, gray, and white blobs bobbing in the surf beyond. Fortunately, the light gave way to dozens of waterfowl and other water birds diving for clams and other molluscs in the surf below. Black (Melanitta americana) and White-winged Scoters (M. fusca) too distant and active for a good photo, rode the waves near Eagle Island, while loons and Razorbills (Alca torda) patrolled the depths beyond in search of fishier foods.

I looked along the shore and my eyes caught sight of an unusual clam. Black as soot and grooved, it looked like a smoother, cooler version of a Quahog (Mercenaria mercenaria). I found out later in one of my field guides that it was literally called a Black Clam (Arctica islandica) and that it was now being considered more valuable for food since more commonly harvested species like Surf Clams (Spisula solidissima) had dropped in number in recent years. Afterwards I decided to call it a day and head in.


After running some errands this afternoon, I decided to check out Goosemare Creek, a section of the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge in Old Orchard Beach just down the road. It was less than a perfect idea due to the gale force winds we've been having the past week. With gusts of nearly 20 miles an hour, I only managed to stay outside for 15 minutes, but the cold temperatures and howling wind drove me back to my car. There were huge flock of Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) and gulls in the back part of the marsh, as well as a lone FOY Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) that called complainingly. Perhaps it was bitching about the cold as much as I was.

I elected from then on, to spend the rest of the day inside. Despite the cold temperatures, it's been a good first week here in Saco. Hopefully I will have another update next weekend (provided I don't get inundated with work). See ya!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites