Nature Note #142: Suddenly Syracuse!

Hey all,

I really do get annoyed with myself when I don't update here as frequently as I ought to, but the past month has been a whirlwind of sorts in terms of moving back "home" and then up to my new digs in Syracuse. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in a studio apartment on the eastern side of the city (but not East Syracuse because that's a different place entirely) with the sun glaring brightly outside. The chirrupings of House Sparrows (Passer domesticus) and hum of traffic is especially apparent, along with the irregular screams of ambulances rushing to the medical facilities downtown and the occasional noises and conversations I hear from my neighbours. 

So why am I in Syracuse? Why have I moved here? Well unsurprisingly, it's for work and it is my first full time position! Sometime after my last blog post about a Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) that I saw in Biddeford, I accepted a position at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. I left Maine soon afterwards and spent the next three weeks securing an apartment, visiting the city, and getting packed for a permanent move. 

I've been here for a week now and while I'm not completely settled in (understandably) I at least understand where the important things are, like food and work. I just finished making food for the first half of the week and started pondering what to do with the rest of the day. I will have to make dinner tonight, that's a no brainer, but I guess I can paint some wood carvings in the mean time. I've been wanting to paint a Luzon Bleeding-Heart (Gallicolumba luzonica) for quite some time.

In the mean time, I'll post in the coming weeks about my visits to local green spaces and hopefully explain a little better what my job is and where it is. I look forward to sharing my adventures with you all again soon. 

See ya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites