Nature Note #178: The Burglar

Exhibit A: The Apple.
Sometime on Saturday morning, we were the victims of a break in. Now normally when someone is subject to theft, an item of value is usually taken. Televisions, computers, jewelry, DVDs, and money are all examples of what most burglars will consider to be valuable. Our burglar however didn't want any of these material possessions. All he wanted was an apple.
Before leaving to explore Pratt's Falls in Manlius, I noticed a half eaten apple on the sill of the kitchen window. After consulting with my girlfriend, we determined that neither of us was sloppy enough to leave a partially eaten apple on the windowsill and in such plain sight. Upon closer inspection, the teeth marks on the apple were too narrow to be from either of us.

It was only after that closer inspection that we noticed the hole. In our apartment's kitchen window, there are the window sashes (that we've been keeping open due to the warm summer weather) and the screen that we thought would keep the wildlife out. We've been visited by robins and pigeons before, but we never expected a break in!

The scene of the crime!
Later that afternoon, the thief returned to the scene of the crime and revealed how they had made their way inside. We had returned from an afternoon's birding at Pratt's Falls and Labrador Unique Area about 35 minutes from home and I was looking forward to sharing our adventure on the blog. Instead, Alison and I came face to face with our apple thief!

A grey squirrel with a smudge grey top, brownish sides, and ragged tail clambered up the inside of the mesh and tried in vain to grasp the apple he had pinched from our fruit bowl. I instantly recognized this squirrel as "I.S.", the grey squirrel I had rescued from the dumpster earlier in the summer. I detailed this rescue in Nature Note #173 and have tried to be vigilant from that point on to save I.S. (an abbreviation for Idiot Squirrel) and his red squirrel accomplice (nicknamed I.R.S. for Idiot Red Squirrel) from the dumpster whenever possible.

However, now that I knew that I.S. was trying to steal an apple from me, I have gifted him with a new name; Trash Squirrel. While it would be silly of me to assume that the squirrel recognized me as his savior with regard to the dumpster, I will have to be more vigilant as to where we leave the windows open and putting food in a safe place.

Whether Trash Squirrel strikes again, only time will tell. But if he does, we'll be ready with our secret weapon.

Trash Squirrel...meet Sergeant (Chili) Pepper!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites