On The Wing #26: And the Lucky Winner Is....

This will be a short entry, but a necessary one. Just two days before I left for my job in Norwalk, CT as a Long-tailed Duck or Oldsquaw (Clangula hyemalis) hunter surveyor, I spotted my 300th species. The goal is complete, but I don't want to stop there. Before I mention the latest species addition, I'm going to try and get as many birds as possible before the year is out. I'm hoping for 310, but we'll have to wait and see. Even 301 would be wonderful at this point.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand. The 300th species I saw on October 28th, was a single Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus) flying over Wayland Community Garden in Wayland, MA. I feel fortunate to have seen such a vulnerable species, but at the same time, marveled at every other birder's perceived ability to scope them out. They're very similar to Red-winged Blackbirds (Agelaius phoenicus) in flight and can only really be picked apart if they've landed and are pretty close by or by their call notes. Red-wings have much harsher calls with the Rusties having more liquid-like tones theirs.
Distinguished from the male Red-winged below by the all black plumage, yellowish eye, and thinner, more pointed bill
The name Rusty Blackbird refers to the rust-like tinges on their feathers that are present in the winter months. They are currently listed as Vulnerable due to decreasing numbers. Theories such as habitat loss and poisoning by farmers on their wintering grounds are common, but there is much speculation at this point.
Easily distinguished by its red shoulder patch, loud conk-a-ree song, and dark eye, the male Red-winged Blackbird is a common bird of wetlands, reed beds, and fen lands.

Hopefully, I can get the Ross's Goose (Chen rossii) that was reported over the past week and add that to the list as well. Have a safe storm free week and as always, happy birding ^_^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites