On the Wing #76: Summer Sun

It's the middle of the summer (although some might argue that the middle of the summer would be around August 6th) and the lull before migration is weighing in. There have been a few bright spots such as the recent sighting of that Red-necked Stint (Calidris ruficollis) in Parker River NWR and at Edwin B. Forsythe NWR, as well as the many Little Gulls (Hydrocoloeus minutus) dotted around the Atlantic coast and Great Lakes. With my other computer in less than perfect condition, I have to rebuild my bird list from scratch, starting with the difficult decision to scrap all bird records without sufficient dates. I know I've seen them before, but I don't know when. As a result, I have no better recollection of what I might have seen and what I might not have seen and as a result, the numbers on the list will suffer.

This does throw the goal of 350 birds into jeopardy as well and at the moment, I'll have to see what the list looks like without those dateless species first and then make my decision. I'm also trying to reconstruct my year lists and SBMWA property bird lists, but that will come later as the main list is of more pressing importance. I want to have it done before shorebird migration revs up again at the end of the month. I really want to see Whimbrels (Numenius phaeopus), Red Knots (Calidris canutus), and Western Sandpipers (C. mauri) as much as the next person, but it feels more pressing now that I have to reconstruct the list.

As the summer wears on, hopefully I can blog about some of my favorite birding authors and books. I have a several tomes of birding and bird related knowledge (as you can imagine) and I want to share them with a wider audience and hopefully find fellow fans as well. Have a good week and stay cool. The scorcher is coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites