On the Wing #47: Year Listing Thus Far

Uh dude....? A little to your left...
So as I've mentioned before, I will be year listing this year. I have no set region or state for this so it's more a challenge for me to see how many species I can compile. I must correct people though. It isn't a big year. Unlike the immensely popular film of yesteryear (based on the much better book, as usual), I won't be jet setting around the country to see as many species as humanly possible. I'm not that crazy, nor am I rich. But what's that I hear you say? Kenn Kaufman did his big year for around $1000 and saw just over 660 species! That's true, but he also hitchhiked most of the way and ate cat food at some point. And if eating cat food is a selling point to a birding trip, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Besides, I only wanted to announce that I'd recently seen my 100th bird of the year and it isn't even the end of the month either! It was a small group of Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) near the Fisherman's Monument in Gloucester, MA and I also saw my first Common Eider (Somateria mollissima), Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus), and a few days earlier, my first Wild Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) too.

It's going to be an interesting year and I can't wait for spring migration. I might even get warbler neck!

We'll see.

Have a lovely weekend, and as always, happy birding ^_^.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites