On the Wing #49: Winter Birds

Given that it's been chilly these past few days, I wasn't expecting to see any waterfowl or larger birds at Great Meadows in Concord. I arrived around noon and looked over the frozen, cattail-rimmed marsh beyond and missed the clamor of the geese and ducks that had occupied it only a few months earlier. I distinctly remembered seeing American Coots (Fulica americana) and a radio tagged Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus) last January, but today would be just as much of a joy when it comes to finding birds. Here are some of the many, many pictures I took while freezing my nips off. 

"Can you see me?"


Named redpoll for the small red cap found on both sexes. Males have a reddish wash on their breast.



"I see you."


Two's Company



A frozen waste surrounded by cattails

Canine tracks of sorts. Perhaps fox or coyote?

The coldest lodging in all the land at the moment



Some Giant Canada Geese (Branta canadensis maxima) genes mixed in with some of them.

Over 137 geese on the Concord River.


Of tangled root and wooded holes


Bluebirds in the marsh.




"Tap...tap-tap....tap."




Bright red buds on the Concord River

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites