On the Wing #48: BRO 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance

Sorry for the lateness this week, but I'm determined to get underway. This week's challengers are Ludlow Griscom vs. Sir Peter Scott. This week's theme will feature the philosophies and methods of two completely different men who happened to have a mutual love of birds and the natural world they shared.

Griscom is probably most famous for inspiring famed bird artists and field guide author, Roger Tory Peterson to create and market his all important "Field guide to the Birds". His go-get-em style and vigor when it came to birding and identification made him an icon in the initial drives to recognize birds by distinctive field marks present on their bodies and wings and through their behavior and demeanor.

Scott on the other hand is famous for starting two organizations with the goal of conservation and preservation hand in hand. While more famous for his work with waterfowl, he also had a hand in founding the World Wildlife Fund. However, the WWT was his first love and brainchild and with it, he brought an appreciation for the wide variety and forms of waterfowl in the world.

.....

I have to be honest. The reason I was late this week was because I've kind of lost my interest in this competition. I mean seriously. I started with 16 random people who were famous for contributing to ornithology in some way and as a result this has been going on for over two months, taking up the time I use to make a point about the birding world as I see it twice a week. I must say, it's gotten quite boring. Even with Griscom and Scott, two figures I admire greatly, but I just don't care for this any more...
An accurate assessment of my feelings towards this competition these days...
I suppose I could end this all now and be on my way with something else because between you and me, I have no desire to continue with something I have no one else to participate with in. So with that, I'll be deciding (since I'm judge, jury, and executioner here anyway) who is the winner of this long-winded competition at last.

As per my judgement, Griscom and Scott are effectively tied so a coin flip was used to decide their status along with Bailey vs. Nice and Darwin vs. Lorenz. The finalists as such are Alexander Wilson vs. Sir Peter Scott and Florence Augusta Merriam Bailey vs. Konrad Lorenz.

In order to determine the winner, I will use the method I used in the first round which is sudden death by Google search results. Here are the results of that hasty kerfuffle:

Wilson ~ 25.8 million / Scott ~ 4.25 million. Winner ~ Alexander Wilson
Bailey ~ 684,000 / Lorenz ~ 1.23 million. Winner ~ Konrad Lorenz

Based on the arbitrary system of relying on Google search results, I am declaring Alexander Wilson as being the Babe Ruth of Ornithology! Congratulations to the rival of Audubon and father of American Ornithology.

Tune in this weekend for more of the usual birding and bird trivia related faire. Hope you're not too busy to join me on this lovely weekend in January, and as always, happy birding ^_^.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites