On the Wing #52: Return of the Nemesis Bird

 The Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) has been showing up in Massachusetts over the past few months. They have mainly shown up in traditional spots such as Fresh Pond and Jamaica Pond, but also in others like Plum Island, Acushnet, and Pope John Paul II Park. But even as I search those areas, I always seem to be coming up with nothing. It seems like they either aren't there or I miss them by a few days. The same seemed to be happening when I couldn't find Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) and Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus) but eventually I did come across them.

In the mean time, I'm happy to report that I got to see the King Eider (Someteria spectabilis) up near Salt Island off of Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester. While it was a distant speck amongst the Common Eiders (S. mollisima) it was associating with. I could barely tell what it was, but the extra black on the back separated this adult male from the more piebald males. Had it been a female I would have cut and run, because without a spotting scope, there's no point.

For the remainder of the month before I go to New Jersey, I'll be focusing on northern coastal species as much as possible. I've been hearing reports of a Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) in Gloucester (say that five times fast), Razorbills (Alca torda) and Dovekies (Alle alle) all over the place, and errant Barrow's Goldeneyes (Bucephala islandica) as well. And the icing on the cake is the continued presence of a Western Grebe off of Parker River NWR. So many birds to see and so little time left. Lets see how many I can get!

Have a lovely week and as always, happy birding ^_^.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites