On the Wing #56: Hager Sprigs

The name "Sprig" is an old hunters name for the Northern Pintail (Anas acuta), a slim duck with a handsome chocolate brown head, white lined neck, and gray body along with a long tail that gives it its namesake. The females are delicately patterned when compared to female Mallards (A. platyrhynchos) and are slightly smaller with a gray bill and the same pointed tail.

 They were congregating (about 9 birds altogether) on Hager Pond in Marlboro where they not only spend a good part of some winters and migration season, but it was also here that I saw my first Pintail as a young birder. While feeding the ducks after brunch one Sunday, I looked through my trusty Bushnell's to see a female Pintail congregating with the resident Mallards and Canada Geese (Branta canadensis). It didn't beg for food like the others, but still stayed close enough to the shore for me to get a good look at her.
Picking away at ice and snow. Looking for bread maybe?

Waiting to be fed. Not on this chilly day it seems.
A hard to determine mixed drake Mallard. Probably the result of mating with one of the domestics.

So today when I visited, I took some pictures. After hiding inside for a few days, being out in the cold sunshine really was worth it. Though I didn't stay for long, it was a good visit and I treasure those places that I can go to at a moments notice and not care what I see and still enjoy it. Have a happy Monday and as always, happy birding ^_^.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites