On The Wing #53: Libraries Lead the Way

As clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), I mean snow storm (of course) Nemo bears down on New England, I'm happily sitting inside waiting for the worst to hit later on. As I sit, I'm trying to think of something to write about. I remember that earlier this week, I was at the library to pick up some books on fiction writing for a story/series I'm doing about mythological sea creatures and beings. As I tend to do when I'm in any institution with a huge collection of books, I wandered into the natural history section and poked around the bird section for a bit. It had dwindled from when I was younger, but I distinctly remember certain books that gave me an insight into the bird world as well as the ways they have inspired humans in science, medicine, mythology, and story craft. I looked over the shelves past the ubiquitous Sibley Guides to a volume I hadn't seen since I was 9 or 10.

I picked up a book called "The Reader's Digest Birds of North America" which brought back memories of my research into various groups of birds. I flipped through it, remembering the random bits of information about certain birds like how a Calliope Hummingbird (Selasphorus calliope) (or was it a Costa's (Calypte coatae)?) have been observed picking a stunned female up by the bill after she'd collided with a window. It was also in this book that I read the description of the Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) which described a hare or grouse's worst nightmare with gunmetal grey wings, blood red eyes and talons that pierce with devastating force and trauma. I remember reading that description and thinking back to the first goshawks I ever saw as a child. I describe this experience in the second entry on this blog as terrifying. To feel so small compared to the power and seeming dread that these birds seem to embody. I put it back on the shelf and looked on. The Forbush volumes about the game birds of Massachusetts and beyond were gone as were his "Birds of Massachusetts and Other New England States."They might have been dropped in one of those library culls they do from time to time, because a book of plates by Louis Aggasiz Fuertes has also disappeared from its ranks.

As I left the section, I thought about how much I'd grown since my first forays into the bird books at the library. How much I knew now compared to then and how I have my preferences for certain field guides and disdain for others (*cough**cough* Crossley Guide *cough**cough). It's just wonderful that I was able to enjoy such a rich variety of books and field guides that introduced me to the wonders of birding and the species we all hold dear. I'm eternally thankful for it and only hope that others can go to their local library and find this wonderful place to learn, discover, and grow. Have a safe snowy weekend Northeasters! And as always, happy birding ^_^.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Note #122: Adventures in Pennsylvania: (Non-Native) Space Invaders

Nature Note #187: Devil Down Head

Nature Note #201: Blue Cranes and Long Whites